Thursday, April 24, 2008

Sacred Ground and Chihuahua Sandwiches




Recipe for Chihuahua Sandwiches

CHIHUAHUA SANDWICH
Yield: one
Ingredients:
two corn tostada shells
2 Tbsp. chopped onions
1 cup shredded cabbage
1/2 cup chili, no beans
1/2 cup pimiento cheese spread
Directions:
Warm chili in a saucepan or microwave. Spread chili on one tostada shell. Top with onions and cabbage. Spread pimiento cheese on the other tostada shell. Put shells together and serve.
from the Sky-Vue Drive In—Lamesa, TX.

2 comments:

Johnny C said...

I miss Chihuahua sandwiches from the drive-in in Lamesa. I still have family in the area. I was reminiscing about old times. I too call my grandma "Nanny". Love your blog.

Unknown said...

I once saw this Chihuahua Sandwich featured on "Texas Country Reporter" over 20 years ago and I've been intrigued by it ever since. I wish I could sink my teeth into one of these sandwiches. If only Lamesa weren't so out-of-the-way from San Antonio... I remember the cabbage and pimento cheese ingredients, but it's been a long time and I thought it was served in something like a pita pocket. Have you tried both the sandwich and the recipe? Thank you for posting the recipe, since I doubt I'll ever make it to the Skyvue Drive-In or Lamesa.
P.S. Will I need Alka-Seltzer after I eat one of these things?